Wednesday, September 1, 2010



This photo from the White House Flickr account shows a young boy rubbing President Barack Obama’s head. Reportedly, “The youngster wanted to see if the President’s haircut felt like his own.”

Having a self-identified black man in the White House matters. Yes, it does.


I've had this photo and caption from Love Isn't Enough (formerly Anti Racist Parent) posted outside my office door for over a year. Today a new student stopped by to tell me she appreciated the photo and it was an example of why she chose to attend our school. The fact that I'm not only allowed but encouraged to express this sort of sentiment is why I chose my school as an employer.

In other Obama news, I had a good discussion with friends on Facebook today about whether combat for American soldiers in Iraq is really over or not. Looks like it's not - maybe combat lead by Americans but the truth is that Americans will engage in combat in Iraq indefinitely. Please do not think the war is over. The war simply has a different name in Iraq and a lot of it has moved over to Afghanistan.

1 comment:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have never seen that photo--it's so very cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...