Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Birthday!

Today is my 33rd birthday.

Looking back, I have accomplished some things and not others . . . while I have had success with employment and I really love what I'm doing now, I'm not sure anyone would call what I have a "career". I don't own a home, am on the very low end of middle class. Still working on my bachelor's degree.

I have created a family - our kids are 11, 9 and 3. My husband and I just celebrated 10 years of marriage. We're happy and healthy and all working towards things that better ourselves - better health, more education, hobbies and interests.

So in some ways, compared to my peers, I'm behind. In some ways, I'm ahead. In some ways, I'm right on track. I think I feel a lot of pressure when looking at my high school classmates' lives, when looking at my co-workers lives . . . I feel pressure to have built a certain lifestyle by this point. And sometimes, I really want those things. Just this morning I was dreaming of having endless disposable income so I could go buy the boots I will likely never buy, because they cost a couple hundred dollars. Because, you know, endless disposable income is necessary in order to spend money like that. :)

Anyway . . . I guess I'm rambling, sorry. Just taking stock of where I'm at, where I'm headed, how I measure up. Once again, I come to the conclusion that the stuff of this world is fleeting and I want something more, I want to spend my time on something more, I want to spend my resources on something more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...