Friday, July 1, 2011

Dance Party Friday! The 90s Rocked! Cheah!

Yesterday Miss Allyson from The Sweatshop of Love tweeted someone else's mention of the 90s Pandora station, and a song they loved. This instantly made me think of 2 other 90s rock songs . . . which led me to look one of them up and now we have today's Dance Party Friday: 90s rock version. I'm almost certainly going to have to do another one on this same theme because if I include all the songs I want to, the Dance Party would never end! Here we go


First, the song mention that kicked this all off: Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want". Man, oh man. I was hooked on this song! You know how every once in a while you get a new favorite song, and even if you don't listen to the radio much, you find yourself scanning the stations every time you're in your car, hoping and praying that they'll play it? And suddenly you like the fact that top 40 radio plays the same 10 songs every hour because it means you get to hear it once an hour and it's even worth listening to that stupid _____ song every hour too? Yeah, that.

Honorable Mention: Vertical Horizon, "Best I Ever Had"



Splender's "Yeah Whatever" - I got this CD in 1999, maybe 2000, and listened to it like whoa. Underrated band, in my opinion. HUGE honorable mention: "I Think God Can Explain". A couple others from this album: Space Boy, Supernatural, Monotone (the chorus is what really shines in this one, especially the last time when all the instruments drop out - I love that).




You guys - this song? THIS WAS THE FIRST SONG I EVER PUT ON MY MYSPACE PAGE!!!! That's right. It was there a long, time, too. And when I learned how to put a whole playlist up, this sucker was definitely in there. This song deserves a spot on last week's Dance Party, the one full of songs that are guaranteed to make you deliriously happy.


One of these days I'm going to do a ska/reggae-ish DPF and have been thinking of saving this for then, but dangit, I want to post it today! Got to see this band live, with 2 Skinnee J's who had a fun song called 212-718 or 718 or something. It was about how the NYC area code changed from 212 to 718. "You lived in 212 but now you're 718! Yeah! 718!" Something like that. I don't know, dude. We jumped around, we moshed, we danced, we were young and free and silly.


OMG LOOK. BEHOLD, THE INTERNET. I love you, internet.


I believe this song is what prompted me to buy this CD, but if not, this is still a badass song. Honorable Mention: Under You.


I mean, do I really need to say anything about how great this band is, and how amazing this song is? Really? (Or how hot Dave Grohl is?)


Ok, this song is actually from the early 2000s, so what? It's outstanding.


This may also be early 2000s. SO. WHAT?


Ok, this song is solidly in the 90s. Dada!! Honorable Mention: Timothy.


Aw yeah. I can't even tell you how many times me & my BFF Elanor listened to her Candlebox CD . . . after listening to her Dada CD. After listening to the Indigo Girls and Led Zeppelin. But they get their own dance parties. Honorable Mention: Far Behind on Letterman. Man. This is a great performance!

Ok, if I go any further, I'm just going to have to do a grunge edition. And a 90s alt-rock edition. Man. The great thing about all these genres and sub-genres is: Dance Party Fridays FOREVER!

REQUEST TIME:




J asked for some PM Dawn . . . here you go! Is this really rock? I guess even if THEY aren't full-fledged rock, this song could fit in the pop/rock category. I believe Mr. Jordan Knight recently sampled this song for his new single. So that makes 3 songs in one - Spandau Ballet, PM Dawn and Jordan Knight.


Shanny requested this song and she better know I love her because I'm not a Hootie fan! Not sure why - the songs are pretty good themselves, and Darius Rucker is a good singer, but . . . I dunno. Maybe I got sick of the hype and just decided to hate them. Anyway - a couple high school friends of mine sang this at our senior musical.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...